Friday, January 7, 2011

Rite of Passage

I celebrated a Rite of Passage that goes with motherhood last night.  I spent my first night sitting up with an uber-sick baby.  It was awful- he was all stuffy and coughing.  I finally got him to sleep on my chest but when his daddy went to lay him in his bed he started crying so hard that he couldn't stop coughing and then he was puking warm, thick phlegmy soy yogurt everywhere.  It was about as pleasant as it sounds.

  I was crying because there was nothing that i could do and my boy was just so sick.  I was ready to take him to the ER was the cooler heads of Wade and his momma prevailed and we opted for trying to keep him calm and happy instead. He sat in my lap in the recliner and got relaxed and sleepy...for about 10 minutes.  Then he decided he wanted to get up and play- this was at 11:30 pm on a weeknight (not that parents of babes get sleep on the weekends either).  I was just so happy that he was acting better that I just kept letting him play.  I had started out the day not feeling great myself so I made it until 1:45 in the AM until I tapped Wade's shoulder like beaten and tired wrestler tagging in his teammate. 

Wade walked him around the house for almost another hour until he finally brought a limp baby body back to his bed.  He was pretty much up and down all night long and I powered though my own exhaustion out of pure love and concern for the one who comes first.  We went to see the doc today.  Diagnosis:  Double ear infection.  Prescription:  Amoxicillin, cough suppressant and momma love.  I resisted scribbling that in on the prescription pad and opted to make a mental note.  Needless to say, I am hoping for a well baby and a little sleep tonight.  I am proud to have survived my first all-nighter with a sickie.

No comments:

Post a Comment