Thursday, March 10, 2011

What I miss...

There are a few things that I have noticed that I have come to miss since having a baby.  Some of them are the obvious...like sleeping and alone time but others are things that I didn't know that I would need to prepare myself to give up like:

1.  Eating my own plate of food.  Everything that I place before me has become community property.  Heck, maybe he is just helping me cut calories but it is so not relaxing to sit down to a meal and have to find ways to pick off little bird bites so that they are baby edible.  He doesn't understand "no, you can't have a hot wing" so you have to find some way to appease him.  I think that a lot of it is the relaxation involved with having dinner.  Most of the day I am shoving a sandwich and a handful of M&Ms down my throat in between feeding, changing, cleaning and if I have the privilege of a real meal then I want to enjoy it.

2.  Reading.  I used to read many books a week and I now I am lucky to get in a few pages.  It 's not just that I am busy but by the end of the day when I may have some peace and quiet then I am so tired that the book usually ends up in my lap as I doze off without even realizing it.

3.  Movies with subtitles.  I am a sucker for any foreign movies.  This makes me seem a bit elitist but the truth is that they don't have to be good movies.  I just like a different perspective on the world and foreign movies provide this.  I also like how they all have a different tone to then based on the lighting and I like trying to match up their vocalizations with the recognizable words across the bottom of the screen.  It makes me feel like I am learning something, even if it is just a guessing game.  But being a momma requires you to be doing at least 2-3 things all the time and you can't absent-mindedly listen to the dialogue if subtitles are required.  I have been trying to get through "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" for 3 weeks but I will get distracted and look back at the screen and have no idea what is going on.  Even now, it sits paused on netflix, beckoning for me to forget about the laundry and let this blog post go one more day and take advantage of binksy's nap time.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest Poster
I am trying to get to you, Lisbeth!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343097/

These are the big things I am missing right now.  What have you noticed has gone missing from your life from before baby?

2 comments:

  1. How about any remote feeling of being carefree. Now it's all about making sure the kiddo is fed and taken care of. I don't get to have some time when I can forget about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...it's a little crushing sometimes. Even if he is with someone else I am still constantly thinking about him.

    ReplyDelete