Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Saving money laundering

So, I have been trying to trim my budget hardcore and I realized that one of  my biggest expenses at the store was laundry supplies and so I tried couponing but it wasn't a consistent way to save so I started my research.  I decided to try to make my own detergent.  The recipe that I used was the Duggar's recipe for a top loader.  I figure people with that many kids must have figured out some tricks by now. 
Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

I can say pretty enthusiastically that I loved it.  I found all of the cleaning ingredients in one place in the laundry aisle at wal-mart for only a few dollars and I chose and apple scented essential oil by the candles also at wal-mart for only $2.  I got my 5 gallon bucket at kmart for $2.99.  I didn't used Fels Naptha soap-I used Ivory bar soap found with the body soap.  It was very soft and easy to grate up and also had a pleasant scent.

I also started using my softener in a new way.  I took a bowl with a lid and poured in about half a cup of softener and filled the rest of the bowl with water.  I then cut up an old under shirt of Wade's and put the cloth scraps in the bowl.  When I put my laundry in the dryer, I toss in a soaked cloth from the bowl with the clothes.  My clothes smell really great, are very fluffy, and it is a lot cheaper because you can just replace the dry cloth back in the bowl and reuse it.

Let me know if you try it and what you think.  Also, if you have any money saving household tips, please share!

3 comments:

  1. This is great! I might have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds pretty amazing! 10 gallons would last me forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read about several people using this formulation and hear great things about it! One money saving laundry tip from my house: wool dryer balls. You can get them scented (mine are not) and you not only don't have to buy any more dryer sheets for static/scent BUT it helps to reduce the amount of drying time saving on your energy bill.

    ReplyDelete