Monday, May 9, 2011

Double-edged Sword

Mother's Day is a little funny to explain to non-mothers.  If you saw last week's episode of The Middle, Frankie summed it up perfectly.  She is thrilled that for Mother's Day her family is going to leave her home alone to relax.  Well, she ends up doing all of the mundane daily things that moms do, like sorting the junk drawer, testing the batteries, and fixing the toilet.  Well, her family comes home regaling her with stories of their amazing day eating special treats, playing games, and riding a Ferris wheel.  She is of course disappointed and they unsuccessfully try to recreate the day.  By the end she tells them that she wants them to just sit there and get along and she relaxes.  I say all of that to say that, based on my surveys, most moms feel the same way.  You want this special day but you also have stuff to get done and you want to relax but the threat of your child experiencing some special moment and you miss out  so you can watch reruns on TV is always looming. 

It's very hard to choose what you really want.  A friend of mine told her husband that she wanted to only be in charge of playing on Mother's Day.  He could change diapers and take care of cutting up the hot dogs for lunch and she would just play with her son.  I had a good mixture going on my Mother's Day.  Silas and daddy made 18 slices of french toast for breakfast then while the binks napped, I cleaned up the kitchen a little and made laundry detergent.

  When he woke up I took him to wal-mart so he could buy me the planting materials for my own herb garden as part of my gift.  We went to my moms and played and ate and then we went to eat with his other grandma.  The best part of my day (as it is most days) was right before bedtime when all of the work is caught up and we just play and goof off.  My boys also gifted me with an adorable little step-stone that had my babies footprints imprinted in it.  It was a good and balanced day for this mommy.

My brudders

Cousins close in age

Happy family

The Cousins


Sleeping Sweetie

Spider-baby

We had a lot of fun playing spider-man...thanks $1 yard sale jammies


Oh, and I was obsessed with recreating a picture from Mother's Day last year and without the cooperation of the baby, this was the closest that I could get.  I kinda love it.



5 comments:

  1. I love the Spider Man jammies! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you really did have a good mothers day because you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoy when we can all get together. Somehow we are going to have to do that more often and not just holidays!! I think Tim has a great idea...all us older cousins take a picture on the staircase as Tim's (aka Grandma and Grandpa's). I have an idea of how to pull this off if we can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ladies! I feel really blessed to have a sweet boy to share Mother's Day with no matter what we are doing.

    I am right there with you Becky...it's not like we live on the other side of the country, just across a bridge so we need to make an effort to stay more connected.

    ReplyDelete