Monday, August 13, 2012

My Dilemma

When I start to brag about how smart Silas is, I feel bad because I feel like I am trying to rub it in people's faces that my kid is a genius.  Sometimes, I am, but that is not what this post is about.  This is about my genuine lack of not knowing what to do next. 

When I go to search for projects or ideas for activities for Si, I always find that the things that are categorized for toddlers are way too simple for what he is able to do but the things that are classified for preschoolers are beyond the realm of things we have done before.  My question is:  When trying new things, if he doesn't pick it up quickly, how do I know if it's because he just needs more practice or if it's something he is just too young or immature to grasp?  I always want to push him in what he is capable of doing but I don't want to frustrate him or myself by having expectations that can't be met.

Any feedback or advice?

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a professional answer, but I would suggest introducing it and even if he isn't "getting it" if he keeps at it let him go, if he wants to stop just try it again some other time see if it picks up his interest. I feel at this age anything that keeps them occupied or holds their interest is key because if they don't want to do it, the lesson won't get learned. Props to being such a stimulating mommy! And let him do the easy stuff too, I found that Sean really loves it when he accomplishes something so things you KNOW he can do will be great ego boosts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrea! I definitely need to focus on just letting him play and do the simple things sometimes. It's like sometimes I feel guilty if I don't plan any projects and sometimes I over do it to the point raft he is just over it and that makes me feel bad too. I need to find a good balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I thought you would be interested in the giveaway i'm hosting for BluApple (extends storage life of your produce up to three times longer) on my blog www.domesticsweetheart.com :)

    P.S. Sorry I don't have any advice (i have a fur baby lol)also, I'm also following you via GFC!

    ReplyDelete